Sometimes, a string of interactions pertain to the same subject or issue, which is often true of a case or an opportunity. It is best practice to create these activities straight within the opportunity or case itself using their App Ribbons.
- In a sales opportunity, you or a member of your team will probably interact with a potential customer many times before a sale is made. Within the opportunity, you can click the ⊕ New button beside the open Activities to create an activity related to the opportunity.
- In a support case scenario, several interactions might be required before the customer's issue is resolved. Within the opportunity, you can click the ⊕ New button beside the open Activities to create an activity related to the case.
Manually Link An Activity to a Case / Opportunity
If an activity was created on its own, and it needs to be associated with a case or opportunity, this can be done manually.
The following steps will show you how to link an activity to a case or opportunity.
1. Select an existing activity in your Activity List.
2. Underneath the Comments section in the middle column, you will find two dropdowns:
- To link this activity to a case, choose the relevant case from the dropdown.
- To link this activity to an opportunity, choose the relevant opportunity from the dropdown.
Your activity is now linked to the existing case or opportunity. When you access the case or opportunity in the Cases or Opportunities Apps, you will see the app ribbon has been updated with the new activity.
You can link as many activities to a case or opportunity as required, and they will show up in the app ribbon in chronological order. This functionality lets any user with access see the "full story" of a case or opportunity, as expressed in the logged activities!