This document will walk through the preferences for synchronization with QuickBooks Online. Most users will never need to change these settings, unless they require specific preferences.
Note: If you are using QuickBooks Desktop as your accounting software, please check our article QuickBooks Desktop Sync Preferences.
Getting to QuickBooks Online Sync Preferences
- Click on the Gear icon and choose Preferences.
- On the Preferences Menu, select QuickBooks.
NOTE: Administrator permissions are required to access the QuickBooks Preferences.
There are three sections to the QuickBooks screen: Sync, Advanced, and Troubleshooting.
When you are finished with your changes, click Save at the bottom of the screen to save your preferences.
If not expanded, you can click Expand next to the Sync option, to see this screen:
- QuickBooks Sync: The last time Method performed a sync (all changed records shared with QuickBooks are updated). See below for View Details. To manually initiate a sync, click Perform Sync link.
- QuickBooks Connection Status: Date and time your connection with QuickBooks Online was established.
- Disconnect Sync: disconnects the sync. This means no information will sync between Method and QuickBooks until the sync is re-established.
- Sync conflicts: A sync conflict happens when QuickBooks is unable to complete or rejects a request by Method to add, modify or delete a record. Click View Conflict to be brought to the Sync Conflicts screen. See QuickBooks Online Sync Conflicts for details.
The View Details screen for QuickBooks sync provides additional information in real time about the last completed sync.
- Synced: This number is assigned to your account by QuickBooks Online.
- Started: Sync started at date and time
- Completed: Sync completed at date and time
- Total Time: Sync duration (in seconds)
- Result: Shows the status of the sync, with conflicts if there are any. See QuickBooks Online Sync Conflicts for details on conflicts.
- Error: Any errors that occurred during the sync
When you click Expand next to the Advanced option, you will see this screen:
Let Method assign Transaction numbers
Method automatically assigns a transaction number when saving, instead of waiting on QuickBooks to assign and send it back to Method.
- When checked, the transaction number will start +1 after the highest transaction number in Method, whether it was archived or not.
- When unchecked, the number will start +1 after the last transaction number in QuickBooks.
If you are using QuickBooks US, then you will see this option to toggle between using QuickBooks Automatic Sales Tax or not.
- Let QuickBooks calculate my tax rates - When selected, tax will be pulled into the transaction from QuickBooks Online when synced. If you change the tax in Method, this will be overridden by QuickBooks on the next sync.
- Let me set my tax rates - When selected, you can override the taxes set by QuickBooks Online in Method.
When you click Expand next to the Troubleshooting option, you will see this screen:
- QuickBooks Full Sync: This shows the last time Method performed a Full sync (every record shared with QuickBooks will be updated). Usually, a normal sync will suffice. However, in the case of troubleshooting, you may need to manually start a complete sync to see if that fixes your problem. The View Details link is similar to the one explained earlier in this article.
Page size: When Method syncs withQuickBooks, records are not necessarily synced all at once, but in “batches”. The Page Size represents how many records are synced in each “batch” (by default, the page size is 250 records per batch). Alter your default page size here.
NOTE: A large page size is usually preferable, because syncing lots of records at once is more efficient. However, if you’re experiencing sync abort or timeout responses, this could mean you’re having connectivity issues, meaning your records aren’t syncing. Reducing your page size means sending fewer records per batch, increasing the likelihood your sync will be successful.
- QuickBooks Online Company ID: Assigned to your company ID by QuickBooks Online.
Auto Sync Frequency: This section describes how often a sync occurs between QuickBooks and Method.
- If any record is added or updated in Method, this immediately gets synced to QuickBooks.
- If a record is added or updated in QuickBooks, it will automatically sync to Method within 20 minutes.
- Every hour, any record that has been changed within QuickBooks will sync over to Method (Changes Only sync).
- Once a day, all data within QuickBooks Online will sync over to Method (Full sync).
When you're finished making your changes, click Save to save them.