Sometimes, you may wish to keep track of information that currently does not exist in the stock apps or in QuickBooks.
Method:CRM allows you to do this through the use of custom fields. This will require customization of the stock Method Apps. Having a good understanding of Tables and Fields will be beneficial while you go through these steps.
In this article, we will use the example of adding a person's favorite color to the existing Contacts Table. You will:
- Create a new field and add it to a table that already exists.
- Delete a field from a table.
Adding a Custom Field
1. Click the Gear icon in the right hand corner and select Preferences.
2. On the left-hand side, click Tables/Field. This will bring up a full list of all active tables in your Method account.
3. To add a field to an existing table, you’ll need to edit that table. Type "contacts" into the search bar, then click on the Contacts table to view it.
4. You will see a list of all the fields in the Contacts Table. Scroll to the bottom of the grid, and click New Field.
5. Give our field a name that makes sense. Call it "favcolor" for favorite color. Keep the default field type to "Text". The process of creating and adding a field is the same for all field types.
The title of a custom field can only contain alphanumeric characters, which means putting spaces between words, or including special characters (like &, *, ^ etc.) is a no-no. This is true of all custom fields.
Because the Contacts table already has records, the options unique and required are disabled. The character limit for a text field defaults to 255, which is more than what Twitter gives you, so we find it’s often enough for most fields of this type (and certainly enough for a field holding a “favorite color”!)
6. When you’re all done, click Save.
Now, when you scroll down to view the fields in the Contacts table, you’ll see your new field added alphabetically.
You’d still need to do additional work to make it appear on the screen, but that's covered in other articles. For now, congratulations! You’ve added a new field to the Contacts table!
Deleting a Field
If you decide you no longer need the field you added, you can delete it, as long as there isn't data saved in that field.
1. Edit the Contacts table as described above in steps 1 to 3.
2. Scroll down to the “favcolor” field and select it to edit it.
3. At the bottom of the Edit Field screen, you’ll see “Delete”. Clicking it will delete the field.
You’ll notice there are several fields you can’t delete. That’s because some fields are required by QuickBooks and others are required by Method to run. Furthermore, custom fields that have been filled with data or are on a screen cannot be deleted. Remember, though, you can’t undo deleting a custom field!
And that’s it! You now know how to create a new field, add it to an existing table, and delete it if you don’t want it anymore!