An activity type determines what kind of activity you are creating. There are several activity types available in the stock version of Method:CRM:
- Email Incoming: Log a received email.
- Email Incoming & Outgoing: An email has been received and responded to.
- Email Outgoing: Log a sent email.
- Meeting: Log a meeting.
- Other: This is a generic option meant to cover what the other types don't. You may find creating your own activity type more useful.
- Phone Call Incoming: Log a received call.
- Phone Call Outgoing: Log a placed call.
- To-do: This can refer to many possible activities; commonly used for internal tasks not related to a specific contact.
- Web Comment: When comments are introduced to your cases through a customer portal, or via a web-to-lead submission, they are called "Web Comments".
But the whole point of Method:CRM is to tailor your CRM experience to your business practices, so we’ve included an option to create a new activity type.
The following steps will show you how to create and edit activity types.
Note: The add and edit screens are laid out the same way, so we will go through how to create a new type. You can edit an existing type by clicking on it and changing the information in the fields. It's a Method:CRM best practice not to edit stock options, but you can create your own very easily!
Creating a Custom Activity Type
1. On your Method:CRM dashboard, click the vertical ellipses ( ⋮ ) on the Activities App, and select Preferences.
2. In the Default Activity Type dropdown, click Add / Edit List.
3. From here, you can choose to edit an existing activity type or create a new one. Click New Activity Type.
4. On the New/Edit Activity Type screen, you will see the following fields:
Note: Method:CRM best practice says you should choose a unique name that
reflects the kind of activity you’ll be applying it to (e.g. Out-of-office meeting).
- Activity Type*: Choose a unique name to reflect the type of activity.
- Activity category: this will influence how your Activity Type List is filtered.
- Description: This is useful if the type name is not descriptive.
- Show on Calendar?: The activity type is visible on your calendar.
- Cause Reminder?: An email reminder will be sent to the assigned user 15 minutes before the activity is due.
- App specific?: When checked, the created activity type will NOT be seen or used in the Activities app or calendar.
- Auto Create Follow Up?: This automatically creates a follow-up activity when this type is used. Clicking this option displays default options for this follow-up:
- Assigned To: Assign to a Method:CRM user.
- Activity Type: Identify follow-up type.
- Days Later: Days before follow-up should take place.
- Activity Status: Default status of follow-up.
- Activity Priority: Default priority of follow-up.
8. When you're all done, click Save.