The following steps will show you how to create a new purchase order in the Method Purchase Orders App.
Note: Differences exist between how QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts sync with Method, which means some of the fields appear differently (and sometimes do not appear at all). We note where these discrepancies appear.
For the purpose of this article we will separate the purchase order screen into these sections:
- Purchase Order Details
- Purchase Order Line Items
- Purchase Order Total
- Purchase Order Buttons
Purchase Order Details
1. Click ⊕ New on your Purchase Orders App, or click ⊕ New Purchase Order from your Purchase Order List.
2. This opens the New / Edit Purchase Order screen. Choose a vendor to associate with this purchase order. This opens more fields to be filled out.
3. The top will show if the total, the vendor, and whether or not the purchase order is open:
4. Except for Date, the following fields are optional:
- Purchase Order #: Assign a purchase order number if applicable.
- Date* and Due: Today's date appears in the Date and Due fields (these can be changed manually).
- Ship To: Select a customer, lead, or vendor you want to ship to. For those who are QuickBooks Desktop, you will have the option to choose a different ship address if you have multiple shipping addresses.
- Ship Method: How the product will be shipped, if applicable.
- Class (QBDT Only): Classes are used to sort your transactions.
- Terms (QBDT Only): Assign terms to this Purchase order.
- Tags: Label and categorize your transaction. (See Tags.)
- Wait for approval before QuickBooks sync?: Prevents the purchase order from syncing to QuickBooks until a user unchecks this option and saves.
- To be emailed in QuickBooks (QBDT Only): Flags the purchase order in QuickBooks as "to be emailed"; group and email multiple purchase orders in QuickBooks.
- To be printed in QuickBooks (QBDT Only): Flags the purchase order in QuickBooks as "to be printed"; group and print multiple purchase orders in QuickBooks.
- Manually Closed (QBDT Only): Marks the purchase order as closed.
Purchase Order Line Items
Line items are added to the purchase order using the Line Items grid. Items available are taken from the Items App which is synced with your QuickBooks account. By clicking on a row, each column (other than the Amount) can be edited to fill in details for each line item.
To add QuickBooks items to this purchase order, add them directly in the grid. To add more lines, select the Add Lines button.
Note: QuickBooks Online users will also be able to select Account Details to add an Account Expense. See Account Expense section below for further information on this.
If you are viewing on mobile, adding new items is done via a separate screen.
Line items are not saved until you save the whole estimate. If you updated the line items and log out of your session, they will not be saved in the estimate.
Purchase Order Total
Below the item lines grid, you will find the total as well as a few more fields to fill in:
- Attachments - You can add a file to this purchase order.
- Memo - Note to yourself and Method users with access to this purchase order. The memo is not visible to the customer.
- Message - a message to appear on your purchase order for the customer to see (e.g. "looking forward to your business"). Note: If you are on QuickBooks desktop, this is a dropdown list of messages. Currently, these messages are managed within QuickBooks. Find the Customer Message List within QuickBooks Desktop if you wish to change the messages.
Purchase Order Buttons
- Delete - Delete the purchase order. This cannot be undone!
- Clear & New - Clear the current purchase order so it is empty and you can create a new one.
- Print: Creates a pdf file of the purchase order which you can print. Ensure your pop-ups are not blocked. The pdf is created using a template chosen within your app preferences.
- Save & New: Save the purchase order and clear the form to enter in a new purchase order.
- Save: Save the purchase order.
Add Account Expense
If you are on QuickBooks Online, you will have the option to select Account Details to add an Account Expense.
1. Choose an account from the dropdown in the Account column and fill out the rest of the row. If you want to add multiple account expenses, select Add Lines.
Note: If you want to create new accounts, you must do this either through QuickBooks, or through Method's Accounts App.
2. Click Save when you're done. The grid and the total will be updated.