The main purpose of a grid is to display information from a table. Grids show a number of columns which represent fields, but sometimes you need to add or remove columns from your grid.
In some cases, you can do this on a temporary basis. Columns may already be on the grid but hidden by default.
Show Hidden Columns
In this example, we will use the Contact List screen, and in particular, we will show the Billing Address State.
If you wish to add another column, perhaps in another grid, these same steps will work across the board.
1. At the bottom of the grid, click the Settings gear. (If the gear is not visible, it may customized to be hidden.)
2. A list of columns will pop up. Scroll until you find Billing Address State and check it.
3. Click the Update button.
The Contacts Grid will now show the Billing Address State. As you may have surmised, you can turn on and off columns using the Setting gear. However, the setting is not permanent and will disappear again if you sign in at a later date. Furthermore, if a column is not in this list, then you obviously can't make it visible.
In this situation, you will need to customize the grid.
Customizing a Grid
In this example, we will customize the Contact List screen to permanently show a column in the grid. By default, the Billing Address State is hidden so we will have it displayed. Of course, these same steps will work for any column you wish to show permanently in a grid.
1. While on the screen, click the caron symbol ( ⌄ ) by the Contacts header and then select Customize Screen.
2. You will be prompted to view the screen as read-only, or to Create a copy. You want to create a copy, so select that.
3. Find the ContactsGrid and click the down arrow on the control. Select Columns from the drop down menu.
4. You will be presented with a list of columns, and by selecting a column, you will be able to edit its properties. Scroll through the list and select the Billing Address State column.
Note: If you wish to show a column not in the list, just click Add another column and select one of the existing fields.
5. There are a number of properties you can change so let's take a look at a few:
- Caption: The header for the column. Change it to State.
- Hide Caption: Below the Caption is a checkbox to hide the caption. Keep it at the default of unchecked.
- Width: Each column can have a specified width. The default option for width is blank, but we can adjust this by choosing percentage or pixels. Percentage allows you to set the width in relation to other columns, while pixels allows you to be more exact. For now, set it to 10%.
- Hide: There are two checkboxes available: On Desktop and On Mobile. You want to have it show on Desktop so check that. If you also whish for it to show on mobile, you can check that box as well.
6. You are done! Click Close, and then Close again.
And now your grid will show the column you just added!