This beta tool allows users to copy/import Method screens from one Method account to another Method account. It is available to Partners via the Partner portal under the beta program tab.
In this article, we will cover:
- How to access the Copy / Import Screen Tool
- How to copy a single screen.
- How to copy multiple screens (using a template)
- Important Notes: Requirements and Restrictions
FOR ACTIVE PARTNERS ONLY
Reminder some betas are available to active Method Partners only. There are eligibility requirements to become a Method Partner. Learn more about those requirements.
How to Access the Copy / Import Screen Tool
1. Log into the Partner portal (click for help).
2. Click the Beta Programs tab.
3. Find the Method Copy/Import Screen Tool beta. Accessing the beta will take you to the following screen for use.
On the right of the screen will be a log of your Screen Copy History. It will track the what was copied as well as the status result of the copy.
How to Copy a Single Screen
With Single Screen Copy selected as a source, follow the below steps to copy a screen.
1. Select Source account. Select where the account where the screen you want to copy is. When selected, the next field, Select Source App, will become visible.
2. Select Source App. Select the App where the screen resides. When selected, click Fetch screens from source app. This will pull all the screens of the app and make them available in a dropdown.
3. Select Source Screen. Once fetched, choose the screen you wish to copy.
4. Select Destination Account. Select the account you want to copy the screen to. You cannot copy a screen to the same account it resides in. When selected, the next field for Destination App appears.
5. Select the Destination App. This will be the app in the destination account you wish to copy the screen to.
6. Save screen for use later. If you plan on copying the same screens multiple times, you can save it in a template. Please see the next section for more information on this.
7. Copy Screen. When you copy the screen, a confirmation box will appear.
8. If successful, this message will show and the Copy Screen History will be updated with your copy.
How to Copy One or More Screens
If you have multiple screens you wish to copy to different accounts, you can set up a template of the different screens you have copied.
Before you can use a template, you need to add the screen to the template
ADD A SCREEN TO A TEMPLATE
As shown above in Step 6, there is an option to save a screen to a template.
- Add to an Existing App Template: Once the source information has been selected, you can add this screen to an existing app template for later use. If no templates exist, then a template will be created with the name of the app you are copying from.
- Save Screen to Template: This will save the screen to the app template without copying the screen.
- Copy & Save Screen: This will copy the source screen to the destination, and then it will also save the screen in the template.
Once the screen has been saved in a template, it can be used in future copies.
VIEWING AND MANAGING SCREEN COPY TEMPLATES
When you select "Multiple Screens (via Templates)", a grid displaying your screen copy templates will appear as shown in the below image:
By clicking Add Template, you can create a brand new (but empty) Screen Copy Template which you can save future screen copies to. The filter view allows you to cycle between active, inactive, and all templates view.
When you select a row in the grid of an existing template, you can make edits to the template information:
- Template: The template name
- Is Active: If the template is available to use. You are unable to delete a template.
- Description: A description of the template.
The template information is saved in the grid by tabbing away, or clicking outside of the grid.
When you select View Screens of a template, you will see the copiable screens that belong to this template:
The only fields you can edit in this grid are the Is Active field and the Screen Description field.
COPYING ONE OR MORE SCREENS IN A TEMPLATE
When you are ready to copy a screen, select one or more screens using the checkbox column:
Below the grid, choose the destination account and app, and then select Copy Selected Screen(s).
This will prompt you:
After clicking OK, the screen copy will run in the background. When it is complete, you will be sent an email indicating it's done.
As the name suggests, the copy/import screen tool allows users to copy screens from a source Method account to another Method account but there are some important requirements, restrictions, and notes.
- In order to use the tool, the Method user (specifically the email address used to log in) must be an active user in both the source and destination Method accounts.
Pro Tip: As a Partner beta, we filter Method accounts that use the email address associated with your Method Partner profile. To include additional Method accounts, you can temporarily invite a new user with this email to both accounts to use this tool.
- Admin permissions and/or Customization permissions is required in both the source and destination Method Apps.
- The source Method account cannot be the same as the destination Method account. In other words, you cannot copy a screen within the same Method account.
- If the source app is a stock app built by Method or our 3rd party stock app, the destination app will have to be the same stock app. In other words, you cannot copy a screen from a stock app to a different app.
THINGS TO NOTE:
- If the source screen is built on or uses tables/fields that the destination account does not have, the import process will automatically create the same tables and fields in the destination account.
- Although the screen and required tables are copied, no data is copied to the destination account.
Special Note: This is very important especially for dropdown fields. Pay special attention to any values (the list options) used for these will not be copied over. If custom options were added to an existing dropdown, or if a custom dropdown was created, none of the data will be copied.
Users should add these same values to the tables in the destination account, particularly if there are actions that reference these values. New values can also be added.
- The process copies a single screen. Therefore, any Go To Screen actions within your copied screen that reference other custom screens will need to be manually updated. Any Go To Screen actions that point stock app screens will continue to work fine.
- Once successfully imported, there could be a waiting period of approximately 5 mins before the new screen is fully generated and available to be used in the destination account.