A Sales Receipt can be created in Method using the Sales Receipts App. This article will explain the different parts of the Sales Receipt screen.
Note: There are minor differences in creating a Sales Receipt for Method depending on whether or not you have QuickBooks Online, or QuickBooks Desktop. If you are using QuickBooks Desktop, please see our article Create a Sales Receipt in Method for QBDT Accounts.
For the purpose of this article we will separate the Sales Receipt into four sections:
- Sales Receipt Details
- Sales Receipt Line Items
- Sales Receipt Total
- Sales Receipt Buttons
Sales Receipt Details
1. To create a new Sales Receipt, click ⊕ New on your Sales Receipts App, or click ⊕ New Sales Receipt from your Sales Receipt List.
2. This opens your New Sales Receipt screen. Choose a customer to associate with this receipt. This opens up more fields to be filled out.
3. The top will show the total, the customer, as well as an app ribbon to associate activities with this sales receipt:
4. Next, the following fields, other than the Date, are optional.
- Sale #: Will be auto-calculated either by QuickBooks or Method if left blank.
- Date*: Date of transaction
- Assigned To: Method user assigned to this transaction.
- Tags: Label and categorize your transaction. (See Tags.)
- Opportunity: The opportunity this sales receipt is associated with.
- Wait for approval before syncing: Prevents the sales receipt from syncing to QuickBooks until a user unchecks this option and saves.
5. The next fields deal with payment options:
- Payment Method: Type of payment.
- Deposit to Account: Choose the bank account the payment will initially be deposited in. This field is populated by QuickBooks.
- Reference #: Assign a reference number if applicable.
6. Process with Payment Gateway: If you have a payment gateway set up, you can immediately process the sales receipt with a selected payment gateway. The below example will use Authorize.Net as a payment gateway:
Once a payment has been processed:
- Checkbox to process payment gateway will no longer appear
- The Reference # will be filled with the appropriate reference number from the payment gateway.
Sales Receipt Line Items
Line items are added to the Sales Receipt using the Line Items grid. Items available are taken from the Items App which is synced with your QuickBooks account. By clicking on a row, each column (other than the Amount) can be edited to fill in details for each line item.
1. Click inside the line item to grid to add QuickBooks items to this sales receipt. To add more lines, select the Add Lines button.
Note: If you are viewing on mobile, adding new items is done via a separate screen.
Notice, line items are not saved until you save the whole Sales Receipt. If you updated the line items and log out of your session, they will not be saved in the Sales Receipt.
Sales Receipt Totals
At the bottom of the screen, you will see your total as well as other details.
- Attachments: You can attach any file to this particular sales receipt.
- Memo (Internal): A note you can leave to you and your staff which will not be seen by the customer.
- Customer Message: A note the customer can see.
- Taxes: Select a tax rate for this sales receipt.
- Discount: Enter in a percentage of how much you wish to discount the transaction.
- Shipping: Enter in a shipping cost if applicable.
Sales Receipt Buttons
- Delete: Delete your sales receipt.
- Clear / New: clear all the fields on the screen to enter in a new sales receipt.
- Email: This will email the sales receipt to the customer. You will get a preview of the email before sending.
- Print: This will bring up a pdf document of the sales receipt for printing. Your pop-ups must be enabled for Method, else the document will be blocked and nothing will happen when you click this button.
- Save & New: Save this sales receipt and clear all the fields to enter in a new sales receipt.
- Save: Save the sales receipt and stay on the screen.
Once saved, your sales receipt will be visible in your Sales Receipt List.