The Calendar control is used to display activities in a calendar view.
To configure it, you can press the down arrow (▾) to open up its contextual menu. In the below example, we have a calendar object named Calendar.
- Caption: The text used to caption the calendar. This is normally used to identify the calendar when using actions, so this is usually hidden to the user.
- Hide Caption: If labeling your control for unique identification within actions, check this box. This is normally done for the calendar object.
- Load State: The default state of the control (regular/hidden/disabled).
- Calendar Builder: This will open a wizard to help you configure your calendar. Please see below for more information.
There are no style parameters for the calendar object.
The Calendar has four events associated with it. Note, you will notice the word "Event" being used within the calendar but that refers to activities in the calendar. It is not the same as actions and events when customizing.
- Add Event - Triggered when a user selects the ⊕ Add New button on the calendar.
- Event Click - Triggered when a user clicks an activity within the calendar.
- Edit - Triggered when a user edits an activity in the calendar by dragging it on the calendar to a different time.
- Selection - Triggered when a user clicks and drags an empty range within the calendar.
By selecting Calendar Builder, you will be taken to the setup screens where you configure how the calendar looks and what it will display.
There are five areas you can configure when you go into the Calendar Builder of the calendar control. The different areas include:
- Options - Base table, time displays, whether or not it can be editable
- Display - Choose which layouts are available for the different calendar views
- Fields - Set which fields define the parameters of the calendar
- Filter & View - Filter the records which are shown in the calendar
- Event Hover Card - Configure what is shown when user hovers over calendar event
These areas will be explained in detail below.
Configuring the Calendar Options allows you to set many details and defaults for the calendar.
- Select a base table - Select which table holds the records you wish to show in the calendar. Usually, this uses the Activity table.
- Display event times (mobile) - Select how you wish to show the event times on the calendar on a mobile device.
- Day start time - Set the time when the calendar day starts. Activities ending before this time will not show.
- Day end time - Set the time when the calendar day ends. Activities starting after this time will not show.
- Can be edited - Check so the user can create or edit events in the calendar.
- All day appointments - Check to have all day appointments at the top of the calendar.
There are multiple calendar views a user can choose. For each calendar view, there are different layouts. This Display section allows you to define what layouts are available for the user to choose.
- Default Display - Which calendar view and layout will be used by default.
- Day and Week options - Select which layouts are available for the userStandard - calendar entries for different resources will not be separatedVertical - calendar entries will be separated into columns for each resourceHorizontal - calendar entries will be separated into rows for each resource
- Month options - Only one option here, the standard calendar view you are familiar with
- List options - Select which layouts are available for the userWeekly - show only entries for the selected weekMonthly - show entries for the entire month
The Fields section allows you to set the parameters for the calendar from the fields of the chosen base table.
- Resource - By default, all the events in the calendar will be grouped by resource. The calendar allows you to select one or more resources to display. For example, the resource in the Acitivities calendar is the AssignedTo field. Thus, you can choose to show the activities for one or more Method users.
- Default to user signed in - Set the default resource to the user signed in. Field chosen must hold Method Users (dropdown of Users table).
- Start date & time - Set which field in the base table holds the start date for an event in the calendar.
- End date & time - Set which field in the base table holds the end date for an event in the calendar.
- Event Title - This is the title shown on the event when you view the calendar. You can set it to either a field or an expression with text and/or multiple fields.
- Event Description - This is the description shown on the hover card when you hover over an event in the calendar. You can set it to either a field or an expression with text and/or multiple fields.
- Appointment colors - Set which field in the base table defines the color for an event in the calendar.
- All day appointment (optional) - Set which boolean field in the base table defines an event as an all day appointment.
Filter & View
The Filter & View section lets you restrict which records are shown in the calendar.
You can set up what records can be shown by using the criteria builder. See our article on The Criteria Builder to get a better idea on how to build proper conditions to filter records.
Event Hover Card
When the user hovers their mouse over an event in the calendar, a hover card appears giving more details about the event. The Event Hover Card section lets you define what details will show.
- Start date - Show the start date for the event
- End date - Show the end date for the event
- Title - Show the Event Title as defined under Fields
- Start time - Show the start time for the event
- End time - Show the end time for the event
- Description - Show the Event Description as defined under Fields.
- Resource - Show the Method User who is assigned to the activity.