The Record Summary allows you to set the default for how records are formatted in an app ribbon when the panel is first generated.
However, once you customize and change this screen, the Record Summary will no longer be used. If you plan on customizing your app ribbon panel screen, there is no need to set this Record Summary.
For more information on creating an app ribbon, please see our article Set Up an App Ribbon.
Record Summary Example Set Up
In this scenario, we will assume a fictional custom table called Pets is set up, a long with a custom Pets app. These do not exist in your account so replace any reference to the Pets App where appropriate.
1. Select the vertical ellipsis ( ⋮ ) on the Pets App and then click Manage.
2. On the left menu, select Record Summary.
3. Select Default Summary to edit it.
4. Click ⊕ Add Another Item.
The first drop down field gives you a choice between two types: Text and Field.
- Text: Type in text to display in the record summary.
- Field: Select a field in the table to display.
Beside it are the formatting options: Bold, Italics, and Underline.
The option ⊕ Add Another Item allows you to add more fields or text within the record summary.
In the above example, we chose to display the Name field from the Pets table, and within brackets, we put in the PetType field.