App ribbons are how Method Apps "talk" to one another – they display related information from a different app and serve as a shortcut directly to that information.
This article will show you how to get your custom records to show on another screen's app ribbon. For example, if you have created a Rewards App and a contact can collect points, you can show the points in the Contact's App Ribbon.
Before you can set this up, there must be a relationship between the two tables. For more information, please see App Settings - App Ribbons.
Where to Configure the App Ribbon
The trickiest part of setting up an app ribbon is figuring out where to configure it!
For example, if you want reward points to show up in the Contacts app ribbon, do you configure the app ribbon in the Contacts App or do you configure the app ribbon in a custom Rewards App you built?
The answer is the custom Rewards App you built. You will need to have created an app for your custom table, and you will need to manage that app and configure its records to show up in the View Contact's app ribbon. Imagine it like granting permission to the Contacts app to see rewards, and only the source, the Rewards App, can give that permission.
To clarify, if you want records to show up in an app ribbon, you do NOT configure the App that shows the app ribbon. You configure the App that holds the records.
NOTE: Unfortunately, you cannot edit the app ribbon section of our stock apps. For example, if you wish to show related activities in your Rewards App, you cannot do so because that would require editing the app ribbons in the Activities App.
Setting Up An App Ribbon
In the following example, we will show points from a custom Rewards table in the View Contact's app ribbon. The Rewards table is shown in the image below. Note the Contacts dropdown field. This is a necessity if you wish for reward points to appear in the View Contact's app ribbon.
Note: Remember, Rewards is a custom table created for this example. If you are looking for either this table or this app, it won't exist in your account.
Create an App Ribbon
- Click the vertical ellipsis ( ⋮ ) on your custom Rewards App, and select Manage.
- On the left menu, click App Ribbons
- Click the box labeled Create App Ribbon.
This will take you to the New App Ribbon screen:
Step 1: Specify how this app’s base table relates to tables in other apps.
Show how the Rewards table relates to the Contacts table.
- Rewards Fields: From your Rewards table, select the dropdown field which holds the Contacts table. This was named 'Contact' in our Rewards table.
- Join to Table: Since we want the reward points to show up in the Contacts App, we will need to choose the base table of the Contacts App, which is the Contacts table.
- The Join on field option is a bit more complex. Take a look at the below screenshot of our pets table:
See how the Contact dropdown field connects to the Contacts table via its RecordID (which is in brackets). This is the field we are joining on. It is the field that joins the Rewards table to the Contacts table.
Step 2. Set up what your ribbon tile will display.
- We want to create a Points tab to display the number of reward points the contact has. Value lets us choose how we wish to calculate the number. Since this is points, we want to add all the points together and thus we will select – “Sum”.
- Aggregate Field: this is the field we are calculating the sum on. Points are being stored in a field appropriately called Points.
- The Caption is the title for the tab in the app ribbon, which we have labelled "Points".
Step 3. Set the order and number of records to display.
- The Sort by option identifies what field we can use to sort the records when someone views the rewards in the app ribbon.
- Order sorts by ascending or descending values.
- Number of Records: At the moment, this value does not do anything.
Step 4. Apply additional filtering.
- This option allows you to filter the displayed records in more advanced ways. See the Criteria Builder for examples on how to use this.
When you’re finished with your changes, click Save. Your app ribbon is set up, however, there are few more things left to do.
A New Screen - Panel
Once you set up the app ribbon, you can go and take a look at it when viewing your contact, but something is wrong:
Yes, the tab is the name we gave it, but that's not how my points should look. Thing is, this tab is an actual screen that Method has automatically generated using what was defined in the Rewards app's Record Summary. Going back and Managing the screens of my Rewards App, you will see this:
Note there is a new screen created called Panel - Points (Contacts). The name was taken from the label we gave it, and the table it's associated with, prepended with "
When you customize the screen, you will need to make a new version. This is the screen that shows up inside of the app ribbon. You are free to customize how this app ribbon appears!
In the below example, I removed the List entirely and created one with an editable grid:
If you make a mistake, feel free to delete the Panel - Points (Contact) screen. When you view the app ribbon again, it will regenerate the screen again.
The only thing you need to remember is to make the version live so your users can see it when you are done!