Before you get started using your Cases app to create and track cases, it is important that you set your preferences which determine the defaults for a variety of settings in your app (for example, the default type for the activity created when the case is first saved).
Note: You can change these preferences at any time, but it’s a Method best practice to set this up in advance of using the app.
Accessing the Cases App Preferences
The Cases Preferences screen can be accessed from your dashboard by clicking on the ellipsis ( ⋮ ) on your Cases App and selecting Preferences.
Here you will see three major sections:
- Case Preferences
- Case-Related Activity Preferences
- Case Portal
Let’s go through each of these sections in detail.
This section allows you to set your defaults for the New Case screen. This defines what appears in these fields when you open a new case. All defaults can be manually changed on the screen when you open it, however.
Note: Method best practice says you should set your defaults to reflect the sort of case you’re going to create most often. For example, a software company might use the app predominantly for tech support cases, so they would set their defaults accordingly.
- Default Assigned To* (required): The Method user assigned to this case.
- Default Case Update Email Template for Contacts* (required): Select an email template for the default email sent to your contacts when the case is updated.
- Default Case Update Email Template for Staff (required): Choose an email template for the default email sent to your staff when the case is updated.
- Default Origin: Where the case originated. Choose from Phone, Email, or Web Portal. From the dropdown, you can also create your own custom origins.
- Default Status: How far along the case is. Choose from In Progress, Escalated, On Hold, or Closed. From the dropdown, you can also create your own custom statuses.
- Default Priority: How important is this case? Choose the default here from 1 - High, 2 - Medium, or 3 - Low. From the dropdown, you can also create your own custom priorities.
- Default Type: What kind of issue is this case meant to address? Choose the default here from Problem, Complaint, Feature Request, Question, or Billing Inquiry. From the dropdown, you can also create your own custom types.
- Default Case Reason: Why the case is a problem. Choose the default from Complex functionality, Existing Problem, Instructions not clear, New problem, or User didn't attend training. From the dropdown, you can also create your own custom case reasons.
Case-related Activity Preferences
This section pertains to the default settings when an activity is created. Every time a case is created and/or updated, an activity is created at the same time. You may also create a follow-up activity on the same screen. These preferences dictate the defaults for those activities.
- Default Activity Type: Sets what activity type initially appears when creating an activity. For a list of activity types and what they do, please see our article Create / Edit an Activity Type.
- Default Activity Follow-up Type: Sets what activity type initially appears when creating a follow-up activity. Please see the above link for more information on activity types.
- # of Days to Add for Follow-up Activity: This number determines when the follow-up activity is scheduled by default (a set number of days after the initial activity is created).
In order to streamline communication between your customer and your company, the Method Cases App comes with a portal function that lets customers create new cases, as well as view and comment on existing cases pertaining to them. Here are the defaults you can set for what they are able to see once they’re there.
- Enable - This checkbox will enable Cases within the customer portal. Otherwise, they will not be able to view, create, or respond to their cases.
- Default Assigned To* (required): The Method user who is assigned to the customer-created case and receives notifications of customer comments.
- Default Case Type: The default case type for a case created in the portal.
- Default Case Origin: The default case origin for a case created in the portal.
Once you have chosen all your preferences, click Save to implement them. Remember, you can come back and change these preferences at any time.