An Estimate can be created in Method using the Estimates App. This article will explain the different parts of the Estimates screen.
The following steps will show you how to create a new estimate in the Method Estimates App.
Note: Differences exist between how QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts sync with Method, which means some of the fields appear differently (and sometimes do not appear at all). We note where these discrepancies appear.
For the purpose of this article we will separate the estimate screen into these sections:
- Estimate Details
- Estimate Line Items
- Estimate Total
- Estimate Buttons
- Link Estimate to Opportunity
1. Click ⊕ New on your Estimates App or click ⊕ New Estimate in the Estimate List screen.
2. This opens the New / Edit Estimate screen. Choose a customer or lead to associate with this estimate. This opens more fields to be filled out.
3. The top will show the total, the customer, as well as its App Ribbons to associate activities with this estimate:
4. When you select a customer, the billing and shipping addresses for that customer will populate for the estimate.
If you are on QuickBooks Desktop, you will have the option to choose a different ship address if you have multiple shipping addresses for your customer.
5. Except for Date, the following fields are optional:
- Estimate #: Created if the field is left blank, and is assigned sequentially (if the last estimate was #15, this will be #16).
- Date* and Due: Today's date appears in the Date and Due fields (these can be changed manually).
- P.O. Number: Include a purchase order number if applicable.
- Sales rep: Assign a sales rep. This field is not available in QuickBooks Online.
- Wait for approval before syncing: Prevents the estimate from syncing to QuickBooks until a user unchecks this option and saves.
- To be emailed in QuickBooks?: Flags the estimate in QuickBooks as "to be emailed"; group and email multiple estimates in QuickBooks.
- To be printed in QuickBooks?: Flags the estimate in QuickBooks as "to be printed"; group and print multiple estimates in QuickBooks.
- Estimate is active: This estimate appears in the Active filter of the Estimates List. Checked by default.
- Tags: Assign tags to this estimate.
- Opportunity: The opportunity this estimate is linked to.
Estimate Line Items
Line items are added to the Estimate using the Line Items grid. Items available are taken from the Items App which is synced with your QuickBooks account. By clicking on a row, each column (other than the Amount) can be edited to fill in details for each line item.
To add QuickBooks items to this estimate, add them directly in the grid. To add more lines, select the Add Lines button.
If you are viewing on mobile, adding new items is done via a separate screen.
Line items are not saved until you save the whole estimate. If you updated the line items and log out of your session, they will not be saved in the estimate.
Below the item lines grid, you will find the total as well as a few more fields to fill in:
- Attachments - You can add a file to this sales order.
- Memo - Note to yourself and Method Users with access to this sales order. The memo is not visible to the customer.
- Customer Message - a message to appear on your sales order for the customer to see (e.g. "looking forward to your business"). Note: If you are on QuickBooks desktop, this is a dropdown list of messages. Currently, these messages are managed within QuickBooks. Find the Customer Message List within QuickBooks Desktop if you wish to change the messages.
- Customer Tax Code - the tax code assigned to the customer.
- Delete - Delete the estimate. This cannot be undone!
- Clear & New - Clear the current estimate so it is empty and you can create a new one.
- Create Invoice - Generate an Invoice from this estimate. You will be taken to the Invoice App.
- Create sales order - Generate a Sales Order from this estimate. You will be taken to the Sales Order App. See this documentation for more information.
- Print: Creates a pdf file of the estimate which you can print. Ensure your pop-ups are not blocked. The pdf is created using a template chosen within your app preferences.
- Email: Email the customer a link to their portal where they will be able to view the estimate online.
- Save & New: Save the estimate and clear the form to enter in a new estimate.
- Save: Save the estimate.
Link Estimate to Opportunity
If this estimate is being created as part of an ongoing opportunity, please follow these steps.
1. Click Pipeline on your Opportunities App. This opens your Opportunities List screen.
2. Locate and select the opportunity you wish to link this activity to. You can search manually or use the search function at the top of the screen. This opens the Edit Opportunity screen.
3. Click ⊕ New beside Estimates on the opportunity's app ribbon:
Then follow the steps above, beginning with step 3.
Your estimate is now linked to the opportunity, which means it appears in the Opportunity's app ribbon under Estimates.