This item type is used for products your company buys but does not track.
Note: This item is available in QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online.
To add this as an item, you will need to add a new item within the Items app, and choose Non-Inventory Part.
If you do not see the Items app, you will need to get access permission for this app from your administrator. The Items app is found in the Accounting Lists Pack.
When you select Non-Inventory type, you will be taken to the New Item screen with the following fields.
- Name / Number: Identify the product by name or by number.
- Subitem of: A non-inventory part may be considered a subitem of an existing item already in your QuickBooks account (for example, it may be used in the construction of an assembled inventory item). Use this drop down list to associate it with an existing item.
- Manufacturer's part number: The part number assigned to this part by the manufacturer. This number is synced back and forth, and so is identical in QuickBooks and Method.
- Unit of measure: Specify how your parts are measured (for example, in units, sets, etc.) These options come from QuickBooks.
- Expense account: The account that is debited when you purchase this item.
- Active non-inventory item: Click on this option to ensure this item appears in the "Active" filter view in the Items list, and so it will also appear in drop down lists throughout Method.
- Sales description: Include a description of what item has been sold. Use it to include additional information that isn't covered in other fields on this screen.
- Sales price: The amount your company charges for this item, in dollars.
- % (Percent Checkbox): Used to specify the rate as an added percentage to your cost. For example, set the rate to 50 and check-off the Percent box for an item that costs you $100; the rate charged to the customer will be $150.
- Tax code: Choose whether or not this sales amount is tax-applicable.
- Income account: This account drop down list, populated from QuickBooks, allows you to choose which account will be associated with the customer payment.
- Used in assemblies/purchased for specific jobs Checkbox: Click this option if the item in question is used to assemble other items, or if it is purchased specifically to be used in conjunction with a particular Job (for example, a cleaning spray might be purchased to be used in a Cleaning Service job).
- Purchase description: Include a description of what item was purchased. Use it to include additional information that isn't covered in other fields on this screen.
- Cost: The price of the item purchased in dollars.
- Preferred vendor: The vendor from whom you most commonly purchase this item. The list is populated from your QuickBooks account.
- Save & New: Saves the new or edited item and clears the fields above.
- Save & Back: Saves the new or edited item.