An Estimate can be created in Method using the Estimates App. This article will explain how to create an estimate and the different parts of the Estimates screen.
Note: There are minor differences in creating an estimate depending on whether or not you have QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop. If you are using QuickBooks Desktop, please see our article Create an Estimate for QBDT Accounts.
For the purpose of this article we will separate the estimate screen into these sections:
- Estimate Details
- Estimate Line Items
- Estimate Total
- Estimate Buttons
1. Click ⊕ New on your Estimates App or click ⊕ New Estimate in the Estimate List screen.
2. This opens the New / Edit Estimate screen. Choose a customer or lead to associate with this estimate. This opens more fields to be filled out.
3. The top will show the total, the customer, and on the right, the open and closed activities related to this estimate. Because this is a brand new estimate, there won't be any activities related to it yet.
4. When you select a customer, the billing and shipping addresses for that customer will populate for the estimate.
5. Except for Date, the following fields are optional:
- Estimate #: Created if the field is left blank. It is assigned sequentially (if the last estimate was #15, this will be #16).
- Date* and Expiration Date: Today's date appears in the Date field and can be changed.
- Assigned To: Assign the estimate to a Method user.
- Status: The status of the estimate pulled from QuickBooks online.
- Tags: Assign tags to this estimate.
- Opportunity: The opportunity this estimate is linked to.
- Accepted fields: Pulled from QuickBooks Online.
- Wait for approval before syncing: Prevents the estimate from syncing to QuickBooks until a user unchecks this option and saves.
- Estimate is active: This estimate appears in the Active filter of the Estimates List. Checked by default.
Estimate Line Items
Line items are added to the Estimate using the Line Items grid. Items available are taken from the Items App which is synced with your QuickBooks account. By clicking on a row, each column (other than the Amount) can be edited to fill in details for each line item.
To add QuickBooks items to this estimate, add them directly in the grid. To add more lines, select the Add Lines button.
If you are viewing on mobile, adding new items is done via a separate screen.
Note: Line items are not saved until you save the whole estimate. If you updated the line items and log out of your session, they will not be saved in the estimate.
Below the item lines grid, you will find the total as well as a few more fields to fill in:
- Attachments: You can add a file to this estimate.
- Memo (Internal): Write a note for yourself and Method Users with access to this estimate. The memo is not visible to the customer.
- Customer Message: a message to appear on your estimate for the customer to see (e.g. "looking forward to your business").
- Taxes: Tax rate for this estimate
- Discount: Any discount you want to add to the estimate.
- Shipping: Any shipping costs you want to add to the estimate.
- More Actions [▾] - Clear & New: Clear the current sales order so it is empty and you can create a new one.
- More Actions [▾] - Delete: Delete the sales order. This cannot be undone!Create Invoice - Generate an Invoice from this estimate. You will be taken to the Invoice App.
- Create [▾] - Create Sales Order - Generate a Sales Order from this estimate. You will be taken to the Sales Order App.
- Create [▾] - Create Invoice - Generate an Invoice from this estimate. You will be taken to the Invoices App.
- Print: Creates a pdf file of the estimate which you can print. Ensure your pop-ups are not blocked. The pdf is created using a template chosen within your app preferences.
- Email: Email the customer a link to their portal where they will be able to view the estimate online.
- Save [▾]: This button is clickable and will save the transaction.
- Save [▾] - Save & New: Save the sales order and clear the form to enter in a new sales order.
- Save [▾] - Save & Back: Save the sales order and go to the previous screen.