An Invoice can be created in Method:CRM using the Invoices App. This article will explain the different parts of the Invoices screen.
Note: There are minor differences in creating an invoice depending on whether or not you have QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop. If you are using QuickBooks Desktop, please see our article Create an Invoice for QBDT Accounts.
For the purpose of this article we will separate the Invoice into the following sections:
- Invoice Details
- Invoice Items
- Invoice Total
- Invoice Buttons
1. Click ⊕ New on your Invoices App, or click ⊕ New Invoice from your Invoice List.
2. This opens your New Invoice screen. Choose a customer or lead to associate with this invoice.
3. The top will show the total, the customer, and on the right, the open and closed activities related to this invoice. Because this is a brand new invoice, there won't be any activities related to it yet.
4. When you select a customer, the billing and shipping addresses for that customer will populate for the invoice.
5. Except for Date and Account, the following fields are optional:
- Invoice #: Created if the field is left blank, and is assigned sequentially (if the last invoice was #15, this will be #16).
- Date* and Due: Today's date appears in the Date and Due fields (these can be changed manually).
- Terms: Assign terms to this invoice.
- Assigned To: Assign a Method:CRM user to this transaction.
- Tags: Assign tags to this invoice.
- Opportunity: The opportunity this estimate is linked to.
- Wait for approval before QuickBooks Sync: Prevents the invoice from syncing to QuickBooks until a user unchecks this option and saves.
Invoice Line Items
Line items are added to the Invoices using the Line Items grid. Items available are taken from the Items App which is synced with your QuickBooks account. By clicking on a row, each column (other than the Amount) can be edited to fill in details for each line item.
To add QuickBooks items to this invoice, add them directly in the grid. To add more lines, select the Add Lines button.
If you are viewing on mobile, adding new items is done via a separate screen.
Line items are not saved until you save the whole invoice. If you updated the line items and log out of your session, they will not be saved in the invoice.
Below the item lines grid, you will find the total as well as a few more fields to fill in:
- Memo (Internal) - A note for yourself and other Method:CRM Users with access to this transaction. The memo is not visible to the customer.
- Customer Message - a message to appear on your invoice for the customer to see (e.g. "looking forward to your business").
- Attachments - You can add a file to this invoice.
- Taxes - applicable tax rate. This was likely set up within QuickBooks.
- Discount - Any discount you want to add to the estimate.
- Shipping - Any shipping costs you want to add to the estimate.
When you have finished your invoice, click Save. This will update Balance Due.
- More Actions [▾] - Clear & New: Clear the current sales order so it is empty and you can create a new one.
- More Actions [▾] - Delete: Delete the sales order. This cannot be undone!
- More Actions [▾] - Make a Copy: Create a brand new invoice with the same information and items.
- Receive Payment: This will take you to the Payments App with the current invoice selected to be paid. From there, you can process the payment for the invoice. You will need to have access to the Payments App in order to see this button.
- Print: Creates a pdf file of the invoice which you can print. Pop-ups must be enabled for Method:CRM, else the document will be blocked and nothing will happen when you click this button. The pdf is created using a template chosen within your app preferences. The PDF link created will expire within 5 to 10 minutes. You should not reference the link in any permanent document.
- Email: Email the customer a link to their portal where they will be able to view the invoice online. You will get a preview of the email before sending it out.
- Save [▾]: This button is clickable and will save the transaction.
- Save [▾] - Save & New: Save the sales order and clear the form to enter in a new sales order.
- Save [▾] - Save & Back: Save the sales order and go to the previous screen.