An Invoice can be created in Method using the Invoices App. This article will explain the different parts of the Invoices screen.
These steps focus on creating a brand-new invoice in Method's Invoice App.
Note: Differences exist between how QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts sync with Method, which means some of the fields appear differently (and sometimes do not appear at all). We note where these discrepancies appear.
For the purpose of this article we will separate the Invoice into the following sections:
- Invoice Details
- Invoice Items
- Invoice Total
- Invoice Buttons
- Link Invoice to Opportunity
1. Click ⊕ New on your Invoices App, or click ⊕ New Invoice from your Invoice List.
2. This opens your New Invoice screen. Choose a customer or lead to associate with this invoice.
Once you select a customer, more fields will open up to fill in. At the top will show your customer, the total, and App Ribbons to show associated activities with this invoice.
4. When you select a customer, the billing and shipping addresses for that customer will populate for the invoice.
If you are on QuickBooks Desktop, you will have the option to choose a different ship address if you have multiple shipping addresses for your customer.
5. Except for Date and Account, the following fields are optional:
- Invoice #: Created if the field is left blank, and is assigned sequentially (if the last invoice was #15, this will be #16).
- Date* and Due: Today's date appears in the Date and Due fields (these can be changed manually).
- P.O. Number: Include a purchase order number if applicable. QuickBooks Desktop Only.
- Ship method: Choose how this product will be shipped, if applicable. QuickBooks Desktop Only.
- Account: Choose the account a payment is applied to. By default, this is Accounts Receivable. QuickBooks Desktop Only.
- Sales rep: Assign a sales rep. QuickBooks Desktop Only.
- Assigned To: Assign a Method user to this transaction. QuickBooks Online Only.
- Terms: Assign terms to this invoice.
- Wait for approval before syncing: Prevents the invoice from syncing to QuickBooks until a user unchecks this option and saves.
- To be emailed in QuickBooks?: Flags the invoice in QuickBooks as "to be emailed"; group and email multiple invoices in QuickBooks.
- To be printed in QuickBooks?: Flags the invoice in QuickBooks as "to be printed"; group and print multiple invoices in QuickBooks.
Mark invoice as pending: Flags the invoice in QuickBooks as "pending"; do not send this invoice to the customer yet. QuickBooks Desktop Only.
Note: A pending invoice does not influence the general ledger (is not yet seen as money owed).
- Class: Classes are used to sort your transactions. QuickBooks Desktop Only.
- Tags: Assign tags to this invoice.
- Opportunity: The opportunity this estimate is linked to.
Invoice Line Items
Line items are added to the Invoices using the Line Items grid. Items available are taken from the Items App which is synced with your QuickBooks account. By clicking on a row, each column (other than the Amount) can be edited to fill in details for each line item.
To add QuickBooks items to this invoice, add them directly in the grid. To add more lines, select the Add Lines button.
If you are viewing on mobile, adding new items is done via a separate screen.
Line items are not saved until you save the whole invoice. If you updated the line items and log out of your session, they will not be saved in the invoice.
Below the item lines grid, you will find the total as well as a few more fields to fill in:
- Attachments - You can add a file to this sales order.
- Memo - Note to yourself and Method Users with access to this sales order. The memo is not visible to the customer.
Customer Message - a message to appear on your sales order for the customer to see (e.g. "looking forward to your business").
Note: If you are on QuickBooks desktop, this is a dropdown list of messages. Currently, these messages are managed within QuickBooks. Find the Customer Message List within QuickBooks Desktop if you wish to change the messages.
- Taxes - applicable tax rate. This was likely set up within QuickBooks.
- Customer Tax Code - the tax code assigned to the customer.
When you have finished your invoice, click Save. This will update Balance Due.
- Delete: Delete the invoice. This cannot be undone!
- Make a Copy: Create a brand new invoice with the same information and items.
- Clear & New: Clear the current invoice to create a new one.
- Print: Creates a pdf file of the invoice which you can print.Your pop-ups must be enabled for Method, else the document will be blocked and nothing will happen when you click this button. The pdf is created using a template chosen within your app preferences.
- Email: Email the customer a link to their portal where they will be able to view the invoice online. You will get a preview of the email before sending it out.
- Receive Payment: This will take you to the payments app with the current invoice selected to be paid. From there, you can process the payment for the invoice.
- Save & New: Save the invoice and clear the form to enter in a new invoice.
- Save: Save the invoice.
Link Invoice to Opportunity
If this invoice is being created as part of an ongoing opportunity, please follow these steps.
1. From your Method dashboard, click Pipeline on your Opportunities App. This opens your Opportunities List screen.
2. Locate and select the opportunity you wish to link this invoice to. You can search manually or use the search function at the top of the screen. This opens the Edit Opportunity screen.
3. Click ⊕ New in the App Ribbon for Invoices:
This will take you to the screen to create a new Invoice, and you can follow the steps above, beginning with step 3.
Your invoice is now linked to the opportunity, which means it appears in the Invoices app ribbon for this opportunity.